Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Thankfulness

I must say, for it to be Thanksgiving, our 85-degree weather here in Houston doesn’t make it feel like Thanksgiving! I haven’t decided if we should be baking the turkey in the oven, or taking it outside to grill along with everything else! As much as I love warm weather, I do appreciate the chill and coolness that’s “supposed” to go along with Thanksgiving! Nonetheless, I shall not complain…. it is Thanksgiving and I have soooo much to be thankful and grateful for! One of my children asked me what is Thanksgiving. I told him it was a day to be thankful. He responded with, “but aren’t we supposed to be thankful every day?” Hmmmm…my son was onto something.

Although we put much thought, time and work into our Thanksgiving menu’s, Thanksgiving isn’t about the turkey, dressing, yams or pies. It’s not really even about celebrating a day of thanks. However, it is a day of remembrance that everyday is about celebrating thanks and being grateful for all that God has provided, even the stuff that wasn’t necessarily on our checklist of things we wanted! It is a day to remind us that “thanksgiving” is more about a lifestyle than an event. Thanksgiving is a day to remind us that even in the worst of our situations and circumstances, there is something to always be thankful and joyful about.

On this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my life, health, family, friends and God’s mercy and grace in my life. For me, there is so much joy in being able to help and serve someone else who is truly in need. One of the things I am thankful for is being able to be a part of serving families in the 5th Ward community of Houston! The Tracy and CleRenda McGrady Foundation, was able to provide a Thanksgiving feast for some really awesome families at the 5th Ward Multiservice Center. We had such a blast! In addition to chowing down on a fabulous meal provided by Chef Rey of “Chef Rey’s,” we had some amazing speakers and dynamic entertainment! Congresswoman Shelia Jackson Lee was so gracious to come out and share an enlightening word with the youth. Recently named as the “Vocabulary Queen of Capitol Hill,” she was able to share with the youth, the importance of reading and staying focused in life and in school. In addition, Pastor Marlon Hall gave a Word that encouraged and empowered the kids. There was also a cookie station, and a book station where kids could pick out books and keep them. Body Worx was also there, giving complimentary hand massages. The families were also able to sit back and rock their heads to the amazing sounds of the band, “Renaissance Suite.” What an awesome experience!

I was thankful to be able to serve others that needed it. I was thankful to see families and kids smile and enjoy their day. Most of all, I am thankful for my son’s reminder that “we are supposed to be thankful everyday!”

Happy Thanksgiving….Gobble, Gobble!!

With Gratitude,

~CleRenda

No comments:

Post a Comment